Monday, July 21, 2008

I am an IRON GIRL!

I survived it!  And I didn't get eaten by the fish!  All week leading up to this weekend the three other people in this house kept making comments about the fish getting my toe and fingers knowing how nervous I was about the open water aspect of the weekends activities.  Well good news.... the swimming was not as bad as I had expected!
14 minutes and 5 seconds in the greenest water I have ever been in... but I survived without holding onto any of the kayaks even with the several kicks in the face and wildly splashing arms around me.  500 Meters in those conditions feel a lot longer than in the pool with chlorinated see through water!  


Then on to 3 minutes and 22 seconds in transition.  Didn't feel that long in the moment but looking at that time seems like a long time.  Changed, socks, bike shoes, helmet, race number belt, grab a drink and head out for a 20K bike ride.  Long slow inclines were fun - haha!  Not bad though... and I managed to not fall.... small victories!  :)  45:14 and I was back into transition for the last time.


2 minutes and 3 seconds to get off bike shoes get on running shoes, loose the helmet, chug some water (by now it is well into the 80's... gotta love Texas heat) grab some sport beans re rack my bike and get down to the other end of the transition area.  Any one out there training for one of these... if nothing else... ride your bike and get off and run!  I couldn't get going!  My legs were not co-operating!  What should have been a 25-30 minute run turned into a 43:45 minute run!!!  ARGH!!!!  I was counting on this being the part I could do which made it even that much more frustrating.  Now I know what to do for the next one  :)


So all said and done... I do believe this was harder than my marathon!  But I loved it!  All ready signed up to do another one in September!  Any one thinking about one should definitely give it a try  :)

8 comments:

Ang said...

Could you be any more AWESOME!!!!!! Seriously. I love your race report. So exciting. You did so great! I have goosebumps on my arms thinking about it. Loving the pics too. Thanks for inspiring me!

P.S. I know I have never emailed you about my question. I pretty much have solved it by now. :) I was wondering about the sizing of the running skirts. I ended up sending my back for a bigger size. :) Oh, do yours have the briefs, or the spandex underneath?

The Eberhardts said...

you look great! so glad that you did it, you survived, and you were able to get on and off the bike. that is a major bonus.

you go girl! really, september?

The Yosts said...

Way to go Erin! That's really a great accomplishment.

marathon mom said...

You are awesome!!!! I loved your report- it sounds like so much fun. The pictures are amazing- they make me wish so badly I did not have to drop out this summer, but bike riding at 38 weeks pregnant- guess not! Glad the fishies did not get you, those lake swims make me love the chlorine =)

Kristen said...

What an accomplishment! You are an inspiration...I gotta see these sport beans.

Katie said...

I am so proud of you..didn't add up your time but it looks impressive to me. I can't wait to race with you next summer - you'll beat me by far but it will be fun to be transitioning again! Gotta love the variety of a tri

Way to go Erin, you rock!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Yay for you!!! I loved your race report. My tri is next weekend and I get butterflies in my stomach every time I think about it. I just feel like a beginner all over again. I am trying to have no expectations. I just want to have fun. Your report gets me excited! Your pics are so cute! If you think of any other advice let me know. One question, why were the bike racks so far from the start of the run?

Anyway, wish me luck! I am so proud of you! You rock, Erin! When I grow up, I want to be like you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I get tied up in knots just thinking about doing it! I'm hoping for September...